Sources of waves data

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
phil78

Sources of waves data

Post by phil78 » 29 Sep 2014 15:21

Hello,

I am new to this forum but I have been using Zygrib for years.
We have launched a Router on Android platform (very soon on iOS) a couple of months ago and I would like to provide a maximum of information to the sailors on the conditions of their cruise.

We get the majority of the data from NOAA and I then validate this data with zyGrib (the "reference")

On the waves (swell and wind, primary) I get some minor differences with zyGrib.
I am using the global waves data from NOAA (files like ... glo_30mext.t06z.f000.grib2)
to get the following variables;
* HTSGW= Combined Swell + Waves heigth (m)
* SWELL= Swell waves heigth (meter)
* SWDIR= Swell waves direction (degre)
* SWPER= Swell waves period (sec)
* WVHGT= Wind waves heigth (meter)
* WVDIR= Wind waves direction (degre)
* WVPER= Wind waves period (sec)

Are you using the same data ?

Another question ...
I am also trying to get the precipitations from NOAA using the command:

URL= nomads.ncep.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/filter_gfs_hd.pl?file=gfs.t06z.mastergrb2f00&all_lev=on&var_PRATE=on&leftlon=0&rightlon=360&toplat=90&bottomlat=-90&dir=%2Fgfs.2014092906%2Fmaster
where i selected PRATE for all levels but I did not get any data back. Any clue why ?

Thanks,
Phil