Logo zyGrib

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
DomH
Site Admin

Logo zyGrib

Post by DomH » 08 Apr 2010 21:13

bkw wrote: Image
--
bkw
Hi,
good idea and very nice. Since now I was using the gnome-fish and I will change it in the next version.

I just did a .ico (rewriting text)
Attachments
zygrib.ico.zip
(751 Bytes) Downloaded 646 times
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

jza
Site Admin

Re: openSUSE RPM

Post by jza » 09 Apr 2010 00:30

bkw wrote: Since none existed, I took it upon myself to throw together a simple icon for desktop/menu usage for the desktop integration parts of the rpm. Attached is a copy. If you don't like it please point me at or create a better one and I'll use that instead. Or maybe this can be a starting point for an official one even if it's not quite good enough as it is now. I'm not a graphic designer but here is the explanation for the way it looks:
Another very good idea !

However I thinks it's a problem : when reducing the size to make an icon the result is confused.
I'm not sure, but a solution is perhaps to replace the windows image by a simplest image like the icon of the web site (just a wind arrow),
and keep your lovely "L concept".

Need more advices.
A+
Jacques

bkw

Re: openSUSE RPM

Post by bkw » 14 Apr 2010 21:36

Is that what those little wind direction symbols are called? Fish? I like that idea.
The favicon for this site, is that what you're using for the windows icon?
With that being so recognizable I don't think we really need the L idea. Unless there are other GRIB programs and they all have the same idea to use a fish as their logo, then zy's needs to be more different than just pointing in a particular direction or being a particular color. In that case the L might do the trick.

I agree the current L icon has a couple problems.
I think it's ok when scaled down as far as 32x32, but when scaled to 16 it becomes a bit of a blob. I never expected it to be _legible_ at 16x16, just recognizable. But, at that scale the blues & greens in the grib area do not contrast strongly enough with the grey of the L. I haven't looked to see how it renders on low-color displays either like 256 color.

I like the fish idea. If there are not other programs using the same idea, then simpler is better. Ditch the L and the text. Just a clean simple fish with no text and few colors and no L, and use the same thing for all sizes, that would be the best. The zyGrib text was a fall-back option because I didn't know of anything good and iconic like the fish.

If there are other grib apps with a fish for an icon, then we just need to differentiate zy's somehow.

Like maybe have the icon just be two letters "zy" and the long line of the Y could be a fish? Possibly rendered in white on dark blue? Even that much detail might be hard to do at 16x16 but it might be doable.

Or, keep the L, grey and all, and just do something to make the grib square pop out better at small sizes? Maybe at that scale, replace the grib square with a simplified solid blue square with a single fish in it?