Grib via Gmail on Android smartphone

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
Pleiades

Grib via Gmail on Android smartphone

Post by Pleiades » 26 Oct 2012 19:08

I can sucessfully request grib files via email using GMail on my Android phone. However GMail blocks access to the attached file because it is in a compressed format. Would it be possible to add a new parameter to the gribauto email message to request that the grib file should be sent as a "*.grb" file and not compressed?

I have read some other forum posts (via Google translate :roll: ) and this may be an issue other have had with smart-phones.

Many thanks

Ray, Pleiades

jza
Site Admin

Re: Grib via Gmail on Android smartphone

Post by jza » 27 Oct 2012 08:00

Hello,

Stupid gmail, stupid android !!! :cry:

I will add such an option as soon as possible.
A+
Jacques

Pleiades

Post by Pleiades » 27 Oct 2012 09:57

Stupid gmail, stupid android !!!
So true :D

Much appreciated! Many thanks, Ray

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 27 Oct 2012 12:01

Hi,

There is now a compress option.

Please, try it with gmail+android
https://www.zygrib.org/index.php?page=gribauto
A+
Jacques

Pleiades

Post by Pleiades » 28 Oct 2012 13:05

That was quick!

I received the file OK as an uncompressed .grb file but then the problems started, here are the results of my tests:

The .grb attachment to the email would not download to the Android (using GMail).

I then forwarded the email to my home email and I receievd the file OK and checked that it was OK and uncompressed - all was good.

I then sent the same .grb file back as an email attachment from my home mail to my GMail account. This time GMail downloaded the file no problem :?

So the only difference I can see is the sender of the file - for some reason GMail does not like the noreply@zygrib.org? (Stupid GMail !)

My next test was to request a grib using Hotmail on the Android (this is normal Web Hotmail not an Android App). Hotmail and the Android were quite happy to download the .grb file. I tested Hotmail before and it will not download .bz2 files, so we have made progress and I do have a way of getting gribs via the Android - so thank you very much for such a quick change.

It is puzzling that GMail does not like the file but I doubt that I will be able to ask Google to change it - I shall try though :-) .

DomH
Site Admin

Post by DomH » 28 Oct 2012 14:15

Pleiades wrote:That was quick!

I received the file OK as an uncompressed .grb file but then the problems started, here are the results of my tests:

The .grb attachment to the email would not download to the Android (using GMail).

I then forwarded the email to my home email and I receievd the file OK and checked that it was OK and uncompressed - all was good.

I then sent the same .grb file back as an email attachment from my home mail to my GMail account. This time GMail downloaded the file no problem :?

So the only difference I can see is the sender of the file - for some reason GMail does not like the noreply@zygrib.org? (Stupid GMail !)

My next test was to request a grib using Hotmail on the Android (this is normal Web Hotmail not an Android App). Hotmail and the Android were quite happy to download the .grb file. I tested Hotmail before and it will not download .bz2 files, so we have made progress and I do have a way of getting gribs via the Android - so thank you very much for such a quick change.

It is puzzling that GMail does not like the file but I doubt that I will be able to ask Google to change it - I shall try though :-) .
Hello,

To be able to download files (not all, but .grb and some others) you need to add a plugin (for instance : "save my attach" or even better "Download pro"; there is other plugins free also, I did not test and maybe even better)
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

Pleiades

Post by Pleiades » 29 Oct 2012 14:27

you need to add a plugin for instance : "save my attach" or even better "Download pro"
Thanks for the information. I have tried these apps (and a couple of others) but unfortunately they corrupt the grib file by converting it into HTML. It may be that these download helper apps are not compatible with Android V2.3.6.

We had quite a trial and error session this morning trying to get round this problem and I can get the grib using ZIP format via Hotmail. I will not post the details just yet because I would like to find a better method and let everyone know what that is. So I'll come back with an update when I have found the best route to take.

Ray

Pleiades

Post by Pleiades » 30 Oct 2012 11:53

After many attempts, I'm starting to think that using web apps on my Android is not going to work for Zygrib - its the restrictions of the Apps that is the problem.

However Hotmail is the closest to being useable except that I get errors when I request the grib eg:
Sorry, an error was detected during the analysis of your email:
Wrong file compression mode: NONE =
Sometimes it works, but mainly not. I have tried deleting any trailing characters with no effect. Is it possible for you to have a look at the code parsing the request parameters - maybe it is picking up end of line codes incorrectly. I am sending the email as plain text. I would try some other options but I have reached my Zygrib email limit for today!

Thanks, Ray

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 01 Nov 2012 07:36

Hi,
Pleiades wrote:Sorry, an error was detected during the analysis of your email:
Wrong file compression mode: NONE =
The error is due to the " =" characters after "NONE".
A+
Jacques

Pleiades

Post by Pleiades » 02 Nov 2012 19:13

Apologies, you are quite correct. Although there is no visible "=" in the sent message, Hotmail adds it when it sends it :evil:

It seems to be a separator in the email, I have asked Microsoft if there is a way round this.

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 03 Nov 2012 12:16

The server has been modified to be more tolerant.
Now it accepts that some codes are not in plain text encoding.
Thanks in advance to try it.

Warning: there is an other error in your last request: respect the order options then data
A+
Jacques

Pleiades

Post by Pleiades » 04 Nov 2012 14:11

:D That all works perfectly in Hotmail now :D

Its really good that you make these changes so quickly and I am sure it will help others who want to use the email interface.

Also, for info to other Android phone users, I have updated my phone now to the latest version of Android (V4.0.3 Ice Cream Sandwich) and to my surprise GoogleMail will allow download of the uncompressed grib files now. So I shall avoid making any more updates to my phone so that it will continue to work!

So in summary, GMail on the Android works well using the "compress: none" option if you are running Android V4 (ICS), and Hotmail on the Android is also good and allows use of "compress: zip" option.

Thanks for the note about the order of options and data, I have corrected my request file. I does work if you place the compress option after the data items, but I shall keep to the rules to avoid it breaking in the future.

Many thanks for all your help :D