automatic download of weather data

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
Andy

automatic download of weather data

Post by Andy » 06 Jul 2011 18:53

Hello,

many thanks for the great program. we plan to use the program in a large organization. is it possible to download the file for a specific region automatically so that we can store the file in the filesystem and all other users can use/read this file? This minimizes the traffic to your server and the configuration overhead on our side (proxy).

Or is it possible to use the NOAA data direct? I got always an error if I open the data direct.

Are you interested in an arabic translation (incl. the changes in the code for right-to-left languages)?

Thank you,

Best regards

Andy

jza
Site Admin

Re: automatic download of weather data

Post by jza » 14 Jul 2011 11:02

Hello
Andy wrote:we plan to use the program in a large organization.
Why not?
is it possible to download the file for a specific region automatically
Sorry but no, ZyGrib is mainly a visualization tool, not a data provider.
If I allow this, there will be many abuses. Every day I have to reject indelicate users who try to hijack the server. :(
Or is it possible to use the NOAA data direct? I got always an error if I open the data direct.
Zygrib can display data in grib1 format, if files are not malformed. NOAA files are very good, but often in grib2 format. Translators exists.
Are you interested in an arabic translation (incl. the changes in the code for right-to-left languages)?
[/quote]
Yes, of course ;)
but I don't know what are the consequences for the code. If it's too heavy, it may be necessary to create a special branch of the project, will see.
A+
Jacques

Andy

Post by Andy » 19 Jul 2011 19:23

Hello,

thank you for the information.

currently I have a solution to download the data from the noaa server via http and filter as grib2 and convert these data with cnvgrib tool. But the data contains only one timestamp. do you know a solution to combine several .grib files into a big file - so I can use the time-slider functionality from zyGrib.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Andreas

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 19 Jul 2011 23:10

Hi,
Andy wrote:do you know a solution to combine several .grib files into a big file
It's easy: just put all uncompressed individual records behind each other in the destination file, in any order, and compress the file after if you want (gzip or bzip format).
A+
Jacques

Andy

Post by Andy » 20 Jul 2011 22:20

Hi Jacques,

thank you - this works super.

Best regards,

Andreas

Andy

Post by Andy » 16 Aug 2011 20:12

Hi Jacques,

now i have the Arabic translation. But I have problems with my compiled version under Win vista 64bit. I can't read the Grib files (Always I get the error invalid file) - your version works fine. Could you tell me which QT version do you use for compiling under windows?

I use "Qt SDK by Nokia v2009.04 (open source)" (4.5.3.0) with mingw and zyGrib V4.0.1. Do you make special options?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Andreas

SYO2

Post by SYO2 » 29 Aug 2011 17:30

Andy wrote:Hello,

currently I have a solution to download the data from the noaa server via http and filter as grib2 and convert these data with cnvgrib tool. But the data contains only one timestamp. do you know a solution to combine several .grib files into a big file - so I can use the time-slider functionality from zyGrib.

Thank you!

Best regards,

Andreas
Hello .This is very interesting. Can you tell me if you can download the data for the waves in the Med from the WW3 model and if yes I would appreciate to have a better understanding on how you do as I might ask the NOAA to also make this file available under FTP.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
73·s
ON3CHD
Nautiquement vôtre.

DomH
Site Admin

Post by DomH » 30 Aug 2011 05:32

Andy wrote:Hi Jacques,

now i have the Arabic translation. But I have problems with my compiled version under Win vista 64bit. I can't read the Grib files (Always I get the error invalid file) - your version works fine. Could you tell me which QT version do you use for compiling under windows?

I use "Qt SDK by Nokia v2009.04 (open source)" (4.5.3.0) with mingw and zyGrib V4.0.1. Do you make special options?

Thank you,

Best regards,

Andreas
Hi,

The actual version of QT is 4.7 and the last version of zyGrib is 5.0.4 with quite few changes in the structure, the data and the text).
Attached a last .qs file
Attachments
zyGrib_fr.ts
(175.95 KiB) Downloaded 658 times
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

Andy

Post by Andy » 08 Nov 2011 20:03

SYO2 wrote:
Andy wrote:Hello,

Thank you!

Best regards,

Andreas
Hello .This is very interesting. Can you tell me if you can download the data for the waves in the Med from the WW3 model and if yes I would appreciate to have a better understanding on how you do as I might ask the NOAA to also make this file available under FTP.
Thanks in advance.
Best regards.
Hello,

sorry for the very late answer. I had a lot of trouble at my office after that I was in vacation.

I think this is a misunderstanding. I download only the weather data from the NOAA servers - not the waves.

Best regards,

Andreas

Andy

Post by Andy » 08 Nov 2011 21:00

DomH wrote:
Andy wrote:Hi Jacques,

Thank you,

Best regards,

Andreas
Hi,

The actual version of QT is 4.7 and the last version of zyGrib is 5.0.4 with quite few changes in the structure, the data and the text).
Attached a last .qs file
Hi,

thank you for the information. We currently use the version 4.0.1 of zyGrib. I have ported our changes into the current version of zyGrib (5.0.6). You can find the changes and the translation in the attached .zip

The following changes has been done:

- support for Arabic (Saudi Arabia) language
- added new "Dummy" in the Translation QT_LAYOUT_DIRECTION which must be set to "RTL" for Right-to-Left oriented languages (all other values are ignored)
- added necessary code changed for writing the text and the time line in the right direction

- added new command line option "-Ini:<key>=value" to make it possible to overwrite the current ini-entries via the command line

all changes are commented.

The translation is currently done only for the Version 4.0.1 terms. The new terms for "waves" etc. are currently not translated (but still in the .ts)

It would be delighted if the changes are transferred in the zyGrib-trunk.

Best regards,

Andreas
Attachments
_changes_zyGrib_5.0.6.zip
changes made in zygrib to support arabic languages
(55.89 KiB) Downloaded 630 times

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 12 Nov 2011 00:32

Hi Andreas,

Thanks a lot, it's a good news.

Next version of zyGrib will propose arabic language. :)
I will only change the method of detection of orientation, to eliminate a compiler warning
and to avoid having QT_LAYOUT_DIRECTION in all translation files.
I prefer to use QApplication:: isRightToLeft () is not more complicated and I think it's cleaner.
A+
Jacques

Andy

Post by Andy » 15 Nov 2011 10:48

Hi Jaques,

thank you! Feel free to edit my changes. Yes, the usage of QApplication::isRightToLeft looks better in the code.

I don't know how QT detects the RightToLeft alignment but as I understand uses the QApplication method isRightToLeft exact the RTL entry in the translation file. I don't know if this is automatically added by QTLinguist. This was the reason why I have added the QT_TRANSLATE_NOOP("QApplication", "QT_LAYOUT_DIRECTION"); in the main method.