Raymarine RNS 6.2 & GRIB files wrong displayed

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
kramerski

Raymarine RNS 6.2 & GRIB files wrong displayed

Post by kramerski » 09 May 2011 13:38

I'm using RNS 6.2 from Raymarine for navigating on board. I can display a layer with GRIB files and when I download an area with ZyGrib, the GRIB files are displayed on the wrong position. For some strange reason the whole GRIB file is displayed in RNS 6.2 above of the area where it should be displayed.

I have checked with uGrib and that GRIB file is displayed correct. Do I unzip the ZyGrib file incorrect or can I change a parameter so the GRIB file will be displayed properly?

Who can help me out solving this. I would love to continue using ZyGrib. It is so much better displayed than uGrib, except for this issue...
Thanks in advance!

kramerski

Re: Raymarine RNS 6.2 & GRIB files wrong displayed

Post by kramerski » 09 May 2011 13:44

To be complete: I'm using windows instead of linux...

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 10 May 2011 07:56

Hello,

It seems that your GRIB reader do not respects the North-South orientation of the data.
Sorry, it seems to be a bad tool. Ask the manufacturer.

GRIB is a very complex file format. GRIB files from zyGrib meet the standard. They are perfectly recognized by NOAA tools, the reference.
I'm really not perfect, but I spent hours and hours to understand this file format, and to implement it. I spent a lot of time to change the program when it was some bugs. They are some information in the news history.

Unfortunately some GRIB readers do not take care of the header information of each records, even if they claim to be professional.
They are dangerous tools, be careful when using it.

If zyGrib is not sure of the meaning of some parameters, it display nothing. It's frustrating, but it's not ambiguous for the user. Some software are much more lax.
A+
Jacques

kramerski

Post by kramerski » 20 May 2011 13:51

I got some feedback from Raymarine and they claim that the problem is with 'more advanced' gribfile applications and they advised me to use uGrib and that is exactly my problem. I don't want to use uGrib because it is not providing me the data I want to use and that is what I love about ZyGrib.

Does anyone has an idea how I can flip the data to the right place, since it is mirrored on the x-axis (is that an english word?) and I mean with x-axis the horizontal axis.

Hope someone can help me solving this issue

jza
Site Admin

Post by jza » 21 May 2011 20:09

Hi,
kramerski wrote:I got some feedback from Raymarine and they claim that the problem is with 'more advanced' gribfile applications and they advised me to use uGrib
It's a very good state of the art analyze, very professional... I like it ;)
Hope someone can help me solving this issue
NOAA has tools to manipulate grib file, but I don't know if it can help you, sorry.
A+
Jacques