Waves

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
Tropelio

Waves

Post by Tropelio » 06 Mar 2009 17:50

Hello,
First of all, thank you very much for this very nice and useful program.
My suggestion is the possible inclusion of waves data (significant heigh and period). Those data would be very interesting for sailors.
Thanks a lot,
Tropelio

jza
Site Admin

Re: Waves

Post by jza » 07 Mar 2009 21:19

Tropelio wrote: My suggestion is the possible inclusion of waves data (significant heigh and period). Those data would be very interesting for sailors.
Hello
It's already in the todo list, but you have to be patient... probably very patient 8-)
Big problem : free data are rare. NOAA NWW3 products are nice but only for large oceans. At this time I dont know how to retrieve grib forecast with waves data for seas like mediterranean.
A+
Jacques

Tropelio

Post by Tropelio » 09 Mar 2009 16:34

jza wrote:Hello
It's already in the todo list, but you have to be patient... probably very patient 8-)
Big problem : free data are rare. NOAA NWW3 products are nice but only for large oceans. At this time I dont know how to retrieve grib forecast with waves data for seas like mediterranean.
Hello Jaques,
Thank you very much for your answer. Yes, you are right concerning grib files with wave data for the Mediterranean sea and other "interior seas" as they call them. I am a sailor usually sailing at the Mediterranean and I have been looking for those files for years without any sucess. But it would be still quite interesting having the possibility of downloading and seeing waves data for the open oceans. So I will hope that you will consider that possibility in the future.

Thanks a lot for your nice program.
Tropelio

Tropelio

Post by Tropelio » 09 Mar 2009 16:48

By the way, I offer you my help to translate the program to spanish if you want to offer that language too.
Regards,
Tropelio

DomH
Site Admin

Post by DomH » 09 Mar 2009 18:19

Tropelio wrote:By the way, I offer you my help to translate the program to spanish if you want to offer that language too.
Regards,
Tropelio
That's very nice, just get the files (.ts) in repository tr (get it from source archive: https://www.zygrib.org/getfile.php?file=zyGrib-3.3.0.tgz) and with qt4 translation tool (qt4 linguist) it is very easy to make translation in any language for all terms used in the application
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

Tropelio

Post by Tropelio » 10 Mar 2009 21:14

DomH wrote: That's very nice, just get the files (.ts) in repository tr (get it from source archive: https://www.zygrib.org/getfile.php?file=zyGrib-3.3.0.tgz) and with qt4 translation tool (qt4 linguist) it is very easy to make translation in any language for all terms used in the application
Hello,
I have tried what you suggested. Unfortunately, the original files are in french, a language that I do not speak.
Tropelio

DomH
Site Admin

Post by DomH » 12 Mar 2009 14:57

Tropelio wrote: I have tried what you suggested. Unfortunately, the original files are in french, a language that I do not speak.
Tropelio
If you use qt4linguist to read the file zyGrib_en.ts

source text is in french, and translation is in english. You just replace the english with your translation and save the file to zyGrib_xx.ts (xx replace by the 2 letters used to express the language you made the translation. And if you do it, it will be a pleasure to add the new language into the application.

DomH

Tropelio

Post by Tropelio » 12 Mar 2009 17:01

DomH wrote:
If you use qt4linguist to read the file zyGrib_en.ts

source text is in french, and translation is in english. You just replace the english with your translation and save the file to zyGrib_xx.ts (xx replace by the 2 letters used to express the language you made the translation. And if you do it, it will be a pleasure to add the new language into the application.
Ok, I am on it. Please, give a few days to finish it.
Regards,
Tropelio

Tropelio

Post by Tropelio » 13 Mar 2009 02:11

Hello DomH,
I already have the .ts file. Please, let me know how to send it to you.
Regards,
Tropelio

DomH
Site Admin

Post by DomH » 13 Mar 2009 07:10

Tropelio wrote:Hello DomH,
I already have the .ts file. Please, let me know how to send it to you.
Regards,
Tropelio
Wonderful, you can send it by mail (as registred user, you have access to my e-mail address)

DomH

Tropelio

Post by Tropelio » 13 Mar 2009 13:35

DomH wrote:Wonderful, you can send it by mail (as registred user, you have access to my e-mail address)
Hello,
I have not been able to find your email address. I send a message with my email address using the contact form.
Regards,
Tropelio

maxstirner

Post by maxstirner » 12 Jun 2009 10:11

Only just found this thread.. +1 for waves :)

poly

Post by poly » 23 Jul 2009 21:19

Hi, Another vote for waves here too... ...not sure if I can be of any help with coding (its been a while since I coded anything and my French is terrible so that might make communication hard).

There is apparently wave data available from the Cyprus Oceanography institute - using the WAM4 model (no idea where to find it etc - but www.passageweather.com use it for the Med. Sea).

maxstirner

Post by maxstirner » 24 Jul 2009 14:04

AFAIK waves for the open oceans are provided as part of the NOAA data; the modification shouldnt be overly difficult.

DomH
Site Admin

Post by DomH » 24 Jul 2009 19:58

maxstirner wrote:AFAIK waves for the open oceans are provided as part of the NOAA data; the modification shouldnt be overly difficult.
Difficulty is sometimes not where we think. :cry: :x

Hi,
Can you give precise information of where to get this information and technical aspects.
Thanks.

DomH

maxstirner

Post by maxstirner » 12 Aug 2009 11:20

There appears to be an older page and a newer model page. The data is available freely and in GRIB format.

I hope this is what you were asking for. :idea:

Thanks for your attention & your work on this hugely enjoyable programme!

Best wishes, Max

maxstirner

Post by maxstirner » 26 Sep 2009 11:45

The wave data is also listed here: http://polar.ncep.noaa.gov/waves/products.html#grib

Vinche

Post by Vinche » 04 Oct 2009 14:35

Bonjour,

Moi aussi je vous félicite pour ce programme !! Il est très bien fait. Je vais installer ce système sur un petit portable embarqué (sous Ubuntu). Je suis également très intéressé par les vagues !!! Je travaille un peu dans le domaine et voici ce que j'en pense. Pour l'Atlantique, les prévisions WW3 du NOAA sont bonnes. Pour les zones golfe de Gascogne, Manche, Mer du Nord et Méditerranée, je vous conseille d'essayer de récupérer les données calculées de previmer (ou surfouest) qui sont les meilleures statistiquement (de loin). Il faudrait voir avec eux pour pouvoir obtenir des grib, ça doit être possible.

Merci et bonne continuation,

Vinche.

SYO2

Post by SYO2 » 12 Dec 2010 23:01

Hi,
sorry to interfere in this topic but YES waves info for areas not covered by the NOAA i.e the MED are freely available in a grib format with the US Navy server as I have mentioned in an other topic named :
MERCI et des suggestions pour les marins....Publié: 06 Oct 2010 13:02
Some might prefer the results of the model used by Cyprus but I have been quite happy to use the Navy for the last 2 years. For the wind I also use the results of their COAMPS model for my routing.
Good luck and enjoy it.
73·s
ON3CHD