.grb in GIS (?)

Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut.
Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can.

Moderator: jza

Forum rules
Image Ici on parle français ou anglais, comme on veut, comme on peut, mais on n'oublie jamais que l'on discute entre humains.
Il ne faut surtout pas oublier les mots magiques: bonjour, salut, merci, etc.
Les messages impolis sont rejetés et restent sans réponse.
Il faut souvent être patient, car il y a plein d'autres activités encore plus passionantes dans notre vie.

Image Here we speak french or english, as we want, as we can, but we never forget that we discuss between humans.
Do not forget the magic words: hello, hi, thank you, etc.
Rude messages are rejected and remain unanswered.
It is often necessary to be patient because there are many other activities even more exciting in our life.
gab

.grb in GIS (?)

Post by gab » 10 Jul 2012 12:24

Ciao.
I installed on my ubuntu 12.04 the version 5.1.4 of zyGRIB.
It all works well (thanks to those who develop it) but I have problems with the file .grb that I download.
To me it would be useful forecasts of wind, temperature, pressure etc at high resolution and I should work them into a GIS software.
If I open the file .grb with Quantum GIS or GRASS GIS (and other) I get a strange thing (attach image).....The data is "stretched" along y. :shock:
Here is my post on the ML GRASS.
http://osgeo-org.1560.n6.nabble.com/Gri ... 85647.html

Someone can help me?

Thank you.

gab
Attachments
grib_file_in_QGIS.png
grib_file_in_QGIS.png (2.69 KiB) Viewed 7028 times

DomH
Site Admin

Re: .grb in GIS (?)

Post by DomH » 10 Jul 2012 23:01

gab wrote: ... I have problems with the file .grb that I download.
To me it would be useful forecasts of wind, temperature, pressure etc at high resolution and I should work them into a GIS software.
If I open the file .grb with Quantum GIS or GRASS GIS (and other) I get a strange thing (attach image).....The data is "stretched" along y. :shock:
Hi,
Grib format is not a GIS format and cannot be open with GIS tools; it is a binary format for meteo data. The only way to visualise them is to use specific tools like zyGrib
Bonne journée ou bonne soirée (vous pouvez choisir)
Have a nice day or good night (you can choose)
Guten Morgen oder gute Nacht (Sie können wählen)

DomH

gab

Re: .grb in GIS (?)

Post by gab » 11 Jul 2012 09:12

DomH wrote:
gab wrote: ... I have problems with the file .grb that I download.
Hi,
Grib format is not a GIS format and cannot be open with GIS tools; it is a binary format for meteo data. The only way to visualise them is to use specific tools like zyGrib
Hi and thank you.
I'm no expert but I've seen that some .grb files are manageable in GIS (eg these http://www.sailingweatheronline.com/) and others do not.
Is there a way to get the same .grb file that I download via zygrib, which can however be used in GIS? I would like data with a high resolution (also 1 km).

thank you

gab